View an article regarding the construction of this route.
Located a few miles south of Strasburg and west of 227th Street, this moderate sized deck girder bridge is one of several similar bridges along the former Rock Island.
Built 1903-4, the bridge consists of three deck girder spans, set onto concrete substructures. The girders were fabricated by American Bridge Company, and the bridge was erected by Stubbs-Flick-Johnson Construction Company of Kansas City.
This bridge is also one of three large girder bridges between Dillon Road and 227th Street. The other two are the western Crawford Creek Bridge and the Big Creek Bridge.
It is believed that this is the original channel of Crawford Creek, as the western channel appears to be a diversion channel, built prior to 1955.
After sitting abandoned for many years, the bridge was converted to a trail in 2016-17. Unlike several bridges along this line, this structure received a concrete deck directly on the railroad spans.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in good condition. As part of the conversion to a trail, the piers were repaired and jacketed with concrete.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.